How to Pray when You Are Anxious, Upset, or Can't Sleep

How to pray when you are unhappy, nervous, anxious,
worried, troubled, can't sleep

More and more people are anxious nowadays. More and more people have trouble sleeping.

This blog post has lots of information in it. But I just want to make sure you know that I have meditations. I have a new 5 minute free meditation for stress. And I even have a meditation app so you can take the 5 minute meditation and a lecture on coping with you everywhere. Just go to my resource center

The Bible has lots to say on the subject. Here are some of my favorite verses. Afterwards a few comments.

Don't forget, I take prayer requests 24/7



Humble yourselves, therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time: casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

1 Peter 5, verses 6 and 7.

I would have you without carefulness.

1 CORINTHIANS 7, verse 32.

 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

 ISAIAH 41, verse 10.

 Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen
your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

PSALM 31, verse 24.


Let not your heart be troubled,
neither let it be afraid.

JOHN 14, verse 27.


do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 Philippians 4:6-7

 When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.

 Psalms 94:19

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

 Romans 8:26-28

 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

 2 Corinthians 12:10
 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

 Philippians 4:13

 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

 Philippians 4:19

 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,
 Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 6:26 to 34



Read the book - someone who overcame depression
Click on the picture to preview Mike's inspirational story in his own words about how he overcame depression, fear, anxiety and bipolar and other issues.









O Lord, how happy should we be
If we could cast our care on Thee,
If we from self could rest;
And feel at heart that One above,
In perfect wisdom, perfect love,
Is working for the best.

J. ANSTICE.


Cast all thy care on God. See that all thy cares be
such as thou canst cast on God, and then hold
none back. Never brood over thyself; never stop
short in thyself; but cast thy whole self, even this
very care which distresseth thee, upon God. Be
not anxious about little things, if thou wouldst
learn to trust God with thine all. Act upon faith
in little things; commit thy daily cares and anxieties
to Him; and He will strengthen thy faith for any
greater trials. Rather, give thy whole self into God's
hands, and so trust Him to take care of thee in all
lesser things, as being His, for His own sake,
whose thou art.

E. B. PUSEY.

Pastor Roland's comments


Chances are that your problem is that you are lost between your ears. Maybe the best verse of all is:

 Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not unto your own understanding.
Proverbs 3 verse 5

What happens to us is that early in your life, someone was mean, confusing, or pressuring. You got upset. You fell into thinking, and now at the first sighting of stress, you fall into thinking, daydreams and imagination.

We meet stress badly, we fail, and then we retreat into thinking where we plan and scheme our next move. Then what we do is canned and unnatural and the timing is off, so we fail again.

Then we retreat into the endless stream of images in our mind where we hide and feel somewhat secure down there. But being separated from reality, we grow more guilty and less adequate to meet the next moment.

Kids naturally spend a lot of time in imagination - perhaps that is why they tend to become vulnerable to naughty voices that tell them that if they don't count to a hundred or touch the doorknob something terrible will happen.

Most people outgrow these, but some do not. And the voices become more subtle. Or more dire. They always mislead you.

You've found out that struggling with obsessions does not help. God rarely talks to us, but the voices do. And they always mislead us. That is why it is not good to be lost in thinking.

What you need is mental distance, and I can show you how.

First preview free the  book Mike's Story: How I overcame depression, OCD, anxiety and other issues without drugs.

Then check out the meditations 

I even have a new 5 minute free meditation for anxiety.

Many good people and good Christians would like to believe these verses and would like to cast their cares, and worries upon the Lord, but they don't quite know how. If you will permit me to be so bold, I think I can help you get centered and re-establish a rapport with your Creator. To do so you need to get out of excessive imagination and thinking. My meditation help people stand back and observe (negative) thought instead of being lost in it. 

A Letter from Michael, Who Overcame Anxiety, Bipolar, OCD, Depression and Shyness

New! Mike's Story is now a book. Preview the eBook. Read the whole inspiring story


Here is an letter written by someone who gets it. He overcame anxiety, depression and bipolar disorder. In this letter, he comments on the verse from the Psalms and then tells of his recovery journey. He gave me permission to share his letter but asked that I only use his first name, Michael. I hope someone will be inspired to give our free spiritual meditation a try. All I can say is "Thanks, Mike." Roland

Hello, my name is Michael.

I love this verse from the Psalms.

He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord.
Psalm 112:7 (English Standard Version).


It sounds good, doesn't it? But the question is: how do you get to where you have such a firm heart and settled spirit?

It took me a long time to get to where I could understand and say something about having a firm heart and settled spirit. I was Mr. Jellyfish.

But here’s the good news: if I can do it, anyone can do it. It took me 40 years, but that was because it took 40 years for me to get to the point where I was ready. Once you’re ready, recovery can begin in a heartbeat.

And it doesn’t have to take 40 years to be ready. You can be ready in this instant regardless of your age, if your heart is pure and you are sincere.

Here's my story. Let's begin with a few thoughts about anxiety and some observations about life and how I started to recover.    Read more and preview the book free

Popular Posts