I'm Not a Priest but I am a Pastor and I Love Catholic Mystics

Many people Google my Talk to a Pastor site who are looking for a priest or pastor to talk to online.

I always say right away that I am not a priest.

I am a pastor. I make this very clear right away.

But I am also aware that Vatican II stated that it is permissible for a Catholic to get spiritual care from a non Catholic chaplain or pastor if the person is in need of spiritual care and there is no priest available.

Being a chaplain, I understand that in the case of emergency where no priest is available, I am permitted to provide spiritual care to a Catholic. But the Catholic church says that a spiritual care giver who is not a Priest cannot absolve sins.

I am not seeking to minister to Catholics, but I am prepared to help if called upon to do so.
There are many people in the world, who are from a Catholic upbringing, who are not practicing Catholics. They find themselves in need of a spiritual care giver to talk to. They don't want to talk to a priest necessarily, but they want to talk to a minister. And they want someone who understands their Catholic upbringing. I am that person. I am not a priest, but I am a pastor, and I have the background of 4 years of Catholic high school, and 6 years of Catholic university.

I also know that, for whatever reason, Catholics seem to understand me and some love my radio program.

So I thought it might be nice to briefly recount my Catholic educational background and some of the Catholics who I hold in high esteem.

Down through history, some of our greatest spiritual writers, greatest saints, and deepest mystics have been and still are Catholic. This is remarkable, because the church has persecuted or at least given a hard time to many of them.

It must be said that I have a great love for and affinity for the Catholic Church. Possibly the fact that I went to parochial High School for 4 years (Oblates of St. Francis de Salles), and attended a major Catholic University for 6 years (BA and MS) has has something to do with my affinity for Catholics.

Or could it be that everyone on my dad's side of the family are Catholic.

Perhaps. But it goes much deeper than that. Cardinal Fenelon, Madam Jeanne Guyon, and Michael de Molinos, all very spiritual writers and mystics (and persecuted by the church they loved and were loyal to) are some of my favorite writers.

I love Madame Jeanne Guyon, and I understand her too. She sought to help people find union with God within. And her Finding God through Prayer (Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ) or in French "a short and easy method of prayer," is a classic in spiritual literature. It is beloved by many Protestants and I first heard about her and her wonderful book on the radio from Chaplain Ray and his prison ministry.

I don't know why but I also loved Fr. Malachi Martin (the exorcist) and well published popular writer. I heard him interviewed by Art Bell and I think his book on exorcism and possession (Hostage to the Devil) is the best there is.

I love Cardinal Von Galen who spoke out, with great risk to himself, against Nazi killing of the mentally disabled.

I love the Catholic Church because it continues to stand, with those of goodwill of every race and religion, for the dignity of life, the rights and safety of the unborn, and for the downtrodden of the world.

I am a pastor and I am nondenominational. I choose to be independent. I am not knocking the Catholic or Protestant churches. I am very traditional in my beliefs. But I choose to be independent. That's all.

I find that the rituals and the all the external words and doctrine, though beautiful, sometimes get in the way and if pressured on people actually destroy the the true spirit of religion.

Plus the formalistic words and rituals cramp my style.

I think I express true Christianity quite well, thank you, without having to appeal to some external authority--whether a person or a book. My authority is conscience and the God of conscience.

My books, my mindfulness meditation, and my radio program will be of interest and value to true seekers regardless of their background. With humility, I am your servant and friend.


Pastor Roland



Roland Trujillo is the author of 14 books, including A Guide to True Peace Revisited (a compilation of the writings of Madame Guyon, Francois Fenelon, and Miguel Molinos). He is a leading authority on Christian mindfulness meditation.

Popular Posts