Lord, I know not what I ought to ask of Thee




Lord, I know not what I ought to ask of Thee;
Thou only knowest what I need; Thou lovest
me better than I know how to love myself.
O Father! give to Thy child that which he himself
knows not how to ask. I dare not ask either for
crosses or consolations; I simply present myself
before Thee; I open my heart to Thee.
Behold my needs which I know not myself;
see, and do according to Thy tender mercy.
Smite, or heal; depress me, or raise me up;
I adore all Thy purposes without knowing them;
I am silent; I offer myself in sacrifice;
I yield myself to Thee; I would have no other
desire than to accomplish Thy will.
Teach me to pray;
pray Thyself in me.

FRANCOIS DE LA MOTHE FENELON.


Your heavenly Father knoweth
that ye have need of all these things.

MATTHEW 6, verse 32.


All as God wills, who wisely heeds
To give or to withhold;
And knoweth more of all my needs
Than all my prayers have told.

J. G. WHITTIER.




Popular Posts